Tenants Frequently Asked Questions

I’m a tenant and I have a maintenance problem?

We have created a system to help you with trouble shooting your maintenance issues. Once you have looked your issue up and tried the help and advice given and still have no resolution, only then should you complete and send a maintenance report.

Which documents are required for referencing?

These documents will allow us to complete our pre-tenancy process by collecting references from your current landlord and employer and completing a credit check and any visa checks if relevant.

You may be asked to provide a guarantor. The same reference checks are then carried out for your guarantor as were done for you.

Before any referencing begins you will be asked to complete a form. As part of the referencing process we will request certain details from you, including:

  • Details of your current and previous address
  • Proof of current address
  • Details of your employment
  • Confirmation of your income
  • Identification of who you are
  • Details of your right to live and work in the UK
  • We may also ask for bank statements and payslips
  • Contact details for your landlord
  • Copy of your current tenancy agreement
Why is an inventory prepared?

Before you move in Elevation (or the Landlord) will have had an inventory prepared. This document, describes the condition of the property and anything left behind by the landlord. By both parties agreeing that the inventory is correct at the start of the tenancy, any risk of disputes at the end of the tenancy will be minimised.

What is a Tenancy Deposit?

A tenancy deposit is used to cover the cost of damage that might incur during the tenancy. The detailed inventory produced at the beginning of the tenancy is used in conjunction with subsequent inspection reports and will be used to assess whether deductions from the deposit are necessary. Deductions are used to cover the cost of professional cleaning, damage above fair wear and tear, non-payment of rent and any outstanding expenses as detailed in your tenancy agreement.

What happens to the deposit once it’s been paid?

It is a legal requirement that the tenancy deposit is registered with a Government approved deposit scheme after it has been paid.

What’s in the tenancy agreement?

Your tenancy agreement is a legally binding document that sets out your rights and obligations during the tenancy. It will be signed by you and your landlord, or the landlord’s representative.

Who is responsible for notifying the utility companies that I’m moving in?

Although Elevation initially notify the utility companies if we manage the property, it is your responsibility to ensure that your account is set up and your bills paid. It is a good idea to also take meter readings both when you move in and when you move out.

Who pays the council tax on the property?

You are normally responsible for paying the council tax during the tenancy (as long as this is stated in the Tenancy Agreement).

Who pays for the TV licence?

If the landlord provides a television then they are expected to pay for the TV licence. The responsibility on who has to pay for the licence is usually stated in the Tenancy Agreement. Otherwise the responsibility sits with you.

Do I need my own insurance?

Your landlord is responsible for ensuring the building and their possessions but you may want to take out your own content’s insurance.

How Can We Help?

Let us know how we can assist you with your real estate needs